Monday, September 28, 2009

A Wilhelm Scream - September 26th 2009 @ Underworld

A Wilhelm Scream
Underworld, Montreal
September 26th 2009

This is my first show "review" on this blog. Coincidentally, it was also the day that I realised how outdated my bulky digital camera is, which means no photos of this one. Sorry!

Oddly enough I had forgotten about this A Wilhelm Scream show until a week before. I'm usually one to write it down on my calendar and start being stoked a whole month ahead. This time around was just going to be me having a good night out with friends and girlfriend. No fireworks, no special effects, no dramatic entrance: just good tunes, good vibe with good people.

First obstacle: the venue was double-booked! ARGH! This meant for me that I was going to be tired since I'm an old fart (not really but I act like one). It also meant that last minute addition to the bill, local party punkers Dig it Up! would be taken off the bill. Darnit!

After a few beers at Foufs, the show began around 10:15 with One-timer. I was pleasantly surprised to finally see them live. I was supposed to play a show with them back in August but they had dropped off the bill. They were not outstanding, but they were good.
The good and the bad: Energetic stage presence by the singer, but they need to work on their songwriting. Guitar felt empty and basslines fell flat.

Next up was The Riot Before. I had not really heard of this band until the day of. Then again I might have heard about them but discarded the info, classifying them with the other Riot bands. The songs I heard on myspace were good too. However the live show was not my thing but then again I didn't really know the songs/lyrics. I'm sure I would have enjoyed a whole lot more had I known what to expect a bit more.
The good and the bad: The bass sounded great! Wicked tone! The lead guitar though was awful. He actually played his rusty strings till his fingers bled though, but despite the effort it was just plain bad.

The main course for the evening, A Wilhelm Scream, came on. I had not seen them in an intimate venue since their show at the Gymnase (with Living with Lions) last summer. It was good to regain my usual A Wilhelm Scream enjoyment spot: right in front of Trevor Reilly. Not only being a wicked guitarist and awesome entertainer, he also writes all music and lyrics.
They played about half of Career Suicide as well as classics from Ruiner and Mute Print. They also played a new song called Skid Rock (if I remember correctly) which was fast, technical, with a slight metal influence. This song is going to appear on an EP to be released this fall.
The band members are just plain level-headed nice guys: I had the chance to talk to all of them quite a bit when I opened for them in Ottawa in summer 2006, but they can be approached by just about anyone. They stayed on stage after their set to shake hands and give high fives to those who wanted one, they could also be seen having beers at Foufs before the delayed show.
The good and the bad: All around solid performance by the entire band (the current lineup is at its best, I remember first seeing them with their original guitarist and bassist). I can't think of a bad thing about their set... Maybe that I didn't sing loud enough, despite my best effort...

Oh and I picked up Career Suicide and Mute Print on vinyl, I'll post them up here soon enough.

Stay classy!

No comments:

Post a Comment