Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Polar Bear Club - Chasing Hamburg

Polar Bear Club - Chasing Hamburg
Polar Bear Club - Chasing Hamburg
Blue Vinyl Limited Edition
Released on Bridge 9 Records (B9R123), September 2009

This is the first vinyl I ever bought! I make it sound like it was a long time ago, but it was only last week and I received it today by the time it got here. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed for two reasons:
  1. I had been listening to their previous release nonstop for the past week or two (which is outstanding)
  2. I had already heard what are, in my opinion, the best songs
Chasing Hamburg is still a darn catchy record on its own and I'm certain that my appreciation of it will grow exponentially once I know all the songs by heart. I've already listented to this on a loop for the past 4 hours...

What I particularly liked about this record: The guest vocals by Aaron Scott on Song to Persona. As a pretty hardcore Marathon fan, I was glad to hear most of the band reunited, albeit in a different style from what I've grown accustomed to. (guitarist Nate Morris and drummer Emmett Menke both played in Marathon with Aaron Scott)

What I did not really like: The vocals on most of Take Me To The Town. What the hell were they thinking? Dealbreaker for the entire album? I thought so on my first listen through... not the case however. Unfortunately, the chorus reminded me of Tuts My Barreh, without actually sounding like it...


The best songs: (in tracklisting order) Living Saints, Light of Local Eyes, One Hit Back


No comments:

Post a Comment