Monday, September 28, 2009

A Wilhelm Scream - Mute Print

A Wilhelm Scream - Mute Print
A Wilhelm Scream - Mute Print
Yellow Marble Limited Edition
Released on Nitro Records and Suburban Home (SH146-1), April 2004

Like many people I associate a certain band, album or song with a certain moment or feeling. To me Mute Print was the first time I understood someone's elaborately-developed frustration through a first listen.

It was the first weekend of August 2005 at the Vans Warped Tour in Montreal Quebec (the year in recent history that was in the Hippodrome's parking lot) only a week or two before they would release the Ruiner album. I was so excited to see them that I skipped out on watching a big band playing right before just so I could watch them set up on the Ernie Ball stage at the entrance of the venue. My biggest memory of that set was seeing guitarist Trevor Reilly throw his defective (at the time) Burgundy Les Paul onto the asphalt while swearing loudly. He wasn't taking his instrument for granted, he was just really pissed off that his guitar would let him down like that. I told him that I witnessed that incident the following year when I opened for them at Babylon in Ottawa and he was surprised that someone remembered that. Well I'm not forgetting it anytime soon.

Basically they rocked really hard that day, in a way that would really have an impact on me in the long run. A Wilhelm Scream was my new standard for live shows: anything less would just be 'okay'.

So I bought the CD and borrowed a friend's CD player (I was ahead of my time with my Minidisc player haha) before even jumping in the shower after getting back from Warped Tour. You should've seen my smile when I first heard the intro to William Blake Overdrive.

Overall a solid album that spent a LOT of time in my cd player! I still think some of A Wilhelm Scream's best songs are on this record.

What I particularly liked about this record: The second half of The Rip. I lose my voice every time they play it live.

Heartless and headstrong. Jump right over the bodies. Life's a race. It's an obstacle course.
Hide, but you'll never have a choice when you go.
They would have noticed you if they had known, but you're fucked.
They'll only love you when you're gone,
or barely hanging on to all your organs and dignity while you're rotting in hospitals.
Don't believe it? It's not your fault. You're just worthless. You're one in a million.
Where is god? The ornament,
the holiday song whored out on reading materials in latrines and porta-johns?
Don't believe this.
You're not worthless. It's us against millions and we can't take them all.
But we can take them on.

What I did not really like: The song Retiring. I think it could've remained a B side.

The best songs: (in tracklisting order) Famous Friends and Fashion Drunks, Anchor End and The Rip

1 comment:

  1. i own this record too. you should keep posting. i like what i see.

    ReplyDelete